Be sure to scroll down and select "older posts" to view previous posts or follow links on the right under "Blog Archive". Also feel free to comment or leave suggestions/tips/advice in the comments on any post, follow me on google, and/or share my blog with friends.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Headboard: DONE!

Thanks to another sunny day yesterday, one headboard is all assembled! I finished up the cutting for the bottom bunk.

Photobucket

Then the boys watched the kids while Joey and I did the assembly work.

Photobucket

Gotta check out Joey's shirt in that pic :). I gave it to her for Christmas. If you can't read it, it says "SARCASM: just another service that I offer" Very fitting lol.

The spacers in between the headboard rails were a bit off, probably 1/8 of an inch or so, so I had to cut them down a bit to fit perfectly.

We also had a bit of issues trying to use nails as suggested by the plans because we didn't have a nail gun and I'm not about to buy one. So we decided on screws and I made a mid-day run to Home Depot for some tiny screws.

One of the tiny little drill bits is somewhere in the headboard because it never came back out lol, but we were able to use another bit I had luckily because we needed to pre-drill all the holes.

Here is the completed headboard, with headless me standing behind it :) That should give you an idea the size of this thing.
Photobucket

It's really heavy, and those 4x4s on the ends were killer to attach, mostly for Joey cause I did the drilling and she did the screwing. We used hubby's drills and the screwing one is ancient and weighed like 10 lbs lol. Not easy to hold in mid air and apply pressure.

We packed up everything and put it away and I brought all the cut up wood for the foot-board home so I can build it here. Of course I live in an apartment so hopefully my neighbors don't mind the noise of the drill over and over.

The headboard still needs sanding so I'll probably sand them both at the same time so I only have to clean up the mess once :).

I left the rails for the bed at Joey's there is no way that I can maneuver 2x8s in this place for assembly work.

This is going to be one monster heavy duty bed :).

Alyssa still keeps asking every day if I finished building her a bunk bed yet. She sat at Joey's in the window watching us work. Today she asked daddy if he would make her a bunk bed and he said no, and that mama is making her one. She goes "ya and I saw her and she made one and then has to make another and another". She keeps walking by the headboard and rubbing the wood, and I just hope she doesn't get a splinter lol.

It looks really nice in the house, I'd love to stain it instead of painting it but we will see. Alyssa wants pink and just not sure how I feel about quite that much pink lol. It looks great natural, but it's not "pretty" like a pink bed would be. lol.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. It is wonderful! I am SO IMPRESSED with you! You could always buy lots of pink blankets and pillows and leave the wood natural! It is just gorgeous and you are SO TALENTED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I'm thinking of ways to convince Alyssa that it will be just as pretty without painting lol. Lawrence thinks if we just slap some butterfly cling-on sticker things that she will be fine lol.

    ReplyDelete