Be sure to scroll down and select "older posts" to view previous posts or follow links on the right under "Blog Archive". Also feel free to comment or leave suggestions/tips/advice in the comments on any post, follow me on google, and/or share my blog with friends.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Headboard #2: DONE!!

Well the glue from earlier dried so I was able to get cracking on the top boards and my clamps, although pretty, weren't quite big enough to hold the wood in place so I had to use screws in addition to the glue and "clamps"

Ya like my impromptu clamps? Hubbys weight bar weights with ankle weights thrown on top for extra weight :)
Photobucket

Had a little minor countersinking emergency because I countersunk the screws a tad too much on one section and created a nice gash in my dining room table. oops lol. But thankfully we got the screws out and redid them elsewhere and nothing a little wood putty can't fix.

I blame the ancient drill, see the one on the right lol. All his fault :).
Photobucket

So once I got that all screwed in and drilled some pilot holes for the posts, I solicited help from hubby to hold the center piece so I could attach the posts. We also got the top board on as well.

Photobucket

So now both are done and we are most of the way done on the bottom bunk. The side rails are already cut and hanging out in Joey's shed, so all that's left to build is the frame that holds the slats and add the slats. Then lots of sanding and then painting then assembling.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I couldn't decide if I wanted to stain, paint, or just leave natural and clear coat it. I love the natural look but the wood's color tone is different because the posts are fir and kinda reddish and the rest is white pine. I don't think a dark stain would look good in Alyssa's room cause everything is so light and cheery in there. So I'm thinking I'll prime and paint it white and then when i build myself a desk I'll use a dark stain for that instead :).

So far for time I spent about 3 hours last Saturday cutting and 3 hours on sunday cutting and assembling, and between lunch and dinnertime today, probably 1.5 hrs. So 7.5 hrs so far, and still within budget of the wood we bought. I only screwed up one cut (crossing fingers that i didn't just jinx myself lol)

Cya!

No comments:

Post a Comment